I do not have a green thumb…so it’s a good thing that you don’t need to have one with a terrarium! I have this cool jar in my kitchen…it’s typically filled with Cocoa Puffs…not that there’s anything wrong with Cocoa Puffs! This is my healthier…and much cooler…version of the Cocoa Puff jar…
This is what you will need:
- Glass jar with a lid
- Rocks (I got mine at a dollar store)
- Potting soil
- Charcoal soil conditioner
- Plants that enjoy moisture and humidity (the top 3 items I got at a nursery)
- Small accessories ( I used some old china that had chipped that I couldn’t bear to part with!)
- Garden scoop
I’m not going to lie…I had to redo this 3 times…yes, 3 times! The 3rd time was the charm…and I’m sure the next terrarium will be super easy!! It’s all about the layering.
Start with small rocks in the bottom for drainage. I started with a larger rock in the middle, as my jar was gynormous!
- As I added the rocks I placed the broken china around the edge inside. (It won’t be perfect because the little rocks like to sneak their way in front!)
- Next…sprinkle a thin layer of the charcoal over the top. The charcoal is horribly messy…it’s a good idea to wear a disposable glove.
- Add a good layer of potting soil.
- Now…the plants! Depending on your jars opening this can be a little tricky. I used some tongs to help place the plants.
- For the finishing touches I added a little more broken china…and a sparkly rock just for my granddaughter, Gracie!
- Water…put the lid on…go on vacation (I did!)…a week later it was still gorgeous!